Sunday, May 28, 2006

Rest in Peace


小老鼠

Our little white rat is dead.

Her name was Lau Shu.

We buried her today and I am sad.

I suppose it is hard for some of you to understand why I would be sad. After all, she was just a rat, right?

Wrong.

She was a living being. Something I cared for, and talked to, and held.

I cannot discount Lau Shu's life, even though her's was such a small life by most people's standards. The world may not be a lesser place for this one rat's dieing; but my world somehow is.

Perhaps this speaks to the utter mediocrity of my own life.

I don't know...

I only know that now when I make rat salad for our one surviving rat, I miss Lau Shu.

Rest in peace, Lau Shu.










1 comment:

debb said...

this speaks to the enormous capapcity for love in your own life...

I am sorry for your loss