Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Sponge Woman

This morning I attended my Moms In Touch prayer group.

One of the scriptures we prayed for our children was from Ephesians 6:10-18.

Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints....

When it came my turn to pray, all I could say was this:

Heavenly Father, I don't know how to pray this scripture for my children; but I do know that I am not a warrior woman. I am more like a sponge. All I want to do is to soak up your truth, your mercy and your loving kindness.

Forgive me Father, but I pray that my children are like sponges too. I don't know much about swords or shields I only know what it is to be filled with your compassion and grace.

Fill us O Holy One! And then, when we are squeezed by the rigors of this life, or attacked by "the enemy", let it will be your love that comes pouring out from us.

Amen.

...have I ever mentioned that I'm a lousy out loud pray-er? I pray so poorly that I've had some prayer groups actually ask me not to pray out loud.

Fortunately, the women in this particular prayer group are truly gracious and loving women. They love me in spite of my strange conversations with God; and because they do, I see Christ shining in them.

They bless me and they strengthen me and I love them for it.

Me, the pitiful praying sponge woman.......

No comments: